While there aren’t many of them, these websites are dedicated to helping compulsive skin pickers understand this disorder, let them know they aren’t alone, and give hope in managing these behaviors through counseling and support groups.
- The Trichotillomania Learning Center – My highest recommended support group! Based in California, TLC has been helping people with the skin picking disorder and hair pulling disorder for more than 20 years. They have access to the best medical resources in the world and hold annual conferences and retreats for sufferers to get together and meet while learning techniques with dealing with these disorders.
- Canadian BFRB Support Network– Headquartered in Toronto, Ontario, the Canadian BFRB Support Network (CBSN) is a non-profit organization that aims to provide support and educational resources for those with Trichotillomania and Dermatillomania.
- StopPickingOnMe – Also with a forum, this site presents information the perspective of one who has suffered and conquered the same affliction. If offers strength, hope and love for the reader. It provides reliable background information as well as specific approaches and steps the reader can take to conquer their problem.
- Treatment Providers– Put together by TLC, here is a list of professionals who have identified themselves as being able to treat Dermatillomania & Trichotillomania.
Online Skype Services
- OCD Center of LA – Clients participating in their telephone or online therapy programs receive a full clinical assessment, and meet for weekly scheduled telephone and/or online therapy sessions with one of their four professional staff therapists. All telephone and online therapy clients receive a treatment manual during their assessment session, and a second advanced manual approximately one month into their course of therapy.
- Fletcher Therapy– Tammy Fletcher, MA, is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in San Diego, California who has a strong desire to help those who suffer from Dermatillomania. She offers counseling over Skype along with a skin picking tracking sheet. Her services utilize a combination of Cognitive Behavioral and Solution-Focused techniques, along with mindfulness training, hypnotherapy, and various other modalities.
- Christina Pearson– Former Founding Director of TLC, Christina Pearson, has ventured into a world of solo practice after serving the TTM & DTM communities for over 20 years. She teaches Mindfulness- Based Impulse Reduction classes online to assist in treating Body Focused Repetitive Behaviors.
- OSPA – Obsessive Skin Pickers Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who seek to recover from Excoriation (Skin Picking) Disorder by working the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous. They promote abstinence from obsessive or compulsive skin picking, and physical, emotional and spiritual recovery.
- Annette Pasternak– With a PhD and a personal success story with overcoming Dermatillomania, Annette offers group counseling or individual counseling and you can see what is right for you with a free 45 minute consultation.
- Skin Pick– David Florendale, author of “The Complete Guide to Picking Disorders” made it his mission since 2003 to bring awareness to Dermatillomania. He works alongside psychodermatology specialist Dr. Ted Grossbartand Dr. Rujuta Vinod, a psychotherapist who was the first to lead their online counselling services.